Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Quote of the Week

I have to admit I'm a little bit proud of myself this week for posting Quote of the Week on its proper day (instead of a day late) and with an actual quote from a human being (as opposed to a cartoon character or a magazine cover). Of course, Quote of the Week is one of those funny little things that relies on somebody else's cleverness (or utter lack thereof) in order to succeed, and sometimes that cleverness is in short supply.

But not this week. At first, I was all prepared to post a couple of gems from Lemony Snicket's "Occupy Writers", a short list of witty observations about the ongoing "Occupy Wall Street" demonstrations ("Historically, a story about people inside impressive buildings ignoring or even taunting people standing outside shouting at them turns out to be a story with an unhappy ending" is a personal favorite, and it was the frontrunner for this week's honor for a while). But then I read an article about Europe and its comically dysfunctional response to its ongoing debt crisis that made me crack up laughing.

Seriously, if this European situation gets any more absurd, I'm just going to go on assuming that all of Europe is one giant Benny Hill Show scene. Without further ado...

This week's QUOTE OF THE WEEK

"We need to impress the market with the size of our equipment, so to speak."
                               - Anonymous EU source

Perfect, just perfect. All will be well if we just show the market our junk--it's the Brett Favre Theory of monetary intervention. I mean, wow. All that quote needs is a creepy wink and an eyebrow raise to complete the effect. It's almost better that the speaker was anonymous, so that I can go on assuming that it's a lewd Frenchman (ahem) who gave the interview while half-drunk and half-naked.

This is really one of those times where I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry... Europe is so screwed.  


No comments:

Post a Comment