Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Quote of the Week

My initial plan was to "award" Quote of the Week to the idiots at Our Lady of Sorrows in Arizona, who decided that their baseball team should forfeit the league championship rather than have their players take the field against a team that had a girl playing second base. This decision was made under the guise of respecting religious beliefs and teaching values to the kids, which is simply a laughable excuse. Either way, looking good, Arizona. You continue to amaze me.

But instead, I'm going to give a belated nod to Mother's Day to all the mothers out there, including my lovely wife who, incidentally, is the speaker of this week's Quote of the Week. Without further ado...

This week's QUOTE OF THE WEEK

"You know, when you think about it, the Star-Spangled Banner is a lot like the Itsy-Bitsy Spider... they're both survivors".
                                    - My Wife

True enough.

One thing I've noticed in my incredibly brief time as a parent is that kids have a tendency to force you to look at the world in an oddly simplistic manner--through their eyes, really. Interestingly enough, you can often get some really amazing insights by thinking about life like a kid would.

The older we get, the more likely we are to accept some fairly irrational thoughts because "that's just the way it is". Why is the sky blue? Why do we have to go to work and make money? Why do we need money at all? Why do we do anything? There's something strangely clarifying about re-thinking all of your assumptions about the "real world", and I've been enjoying the ride so far. And if that means that I end up drawing parallels between our national anthem and a kids' song in the process, then so be it. It's fun.

So to all the mothers out there, I hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day. And to my own mother, I hope I was as much fun to deal with as a kid as my daughter has been so far. And if I wasn't, I'm sorry. I'll just blame it on my older brother, because that's what younger siblings do.


No comments:

Post a Comment