Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Quote of the Week

After a couple days of no writing, I'm planning on coming back with a vengeance in the second half of this week. Yeah, I know... good intentions. Whatever.

Either way, it's Quote of the Week time, and this one here is a doozy. I actually considered giving this week's honor to this article, which found that Germans may actually be physically incapable of enjoying life. Now that's a hell of a study right there.

But instead, I'm giving the nod to Vanderbilt football coach James Franklin, who issued one of the facepalmiest quotes of the year so far.

This week's QUOTE OF THE WEEK

"I've been saying it for a long time, I will not hire an assistant coach until I see his wife... That's part of the deal. There's a very strong correlation between having the confidence, and going up and talking to a woman, and being quick on your feet and having some personality and confidence and being fun and articulate, than it is walking into a high school and recruiting a kid and selling him."
                                   - Vanderbilt football coach James Franklin

Wow. What's funny about Franklin's line is that there's actually probably some truth to it. It takes a certain personality type to be a successful recruiter, and it doesn't hurt to look at an assistant's life for indications of the guy's personality and salesmanship abilities. But to paraphrase Mallrats... JESUS man, there's some things you just don't talk about in public. I mean seriously, is this idiot trying to get fired?

I'm sure Franklin's wife and two daughters are proud of him right about now--he's not getting any icy stares at the dinner table at all this week. What a clown.


No comments:

Post a Comment