Friday, January 6, 2012

Song of the Week(end)

I've been doing Quote of the Week and Clip of the Week for a while now, and I feel like it's time to shake things up a bit with a new addition to the weekly rotation. Drawing inspiration from my man the Red Cowboy, Friday will now bring you "Song of the Week(end)", because we can all use some tunes to send us off into those two beautiful days between Friday and Monday.

The weekly song could be a new track, a blast from the past, or whatever happens to be stuck inside my head at the moment (right now it's Jason Derulo... there's always something stuck in there). I can't guarantee you'll always like it, but it should help keep things from getting too serious around here.

For the inaugural Song of the Week(end), we're going to turn to B.o.B, who's getting ready to drop his second major album this spring. It's no secret that the overall quality (or at least depth) of hip-hop and rap has declined in recent years--honestly, if it wasn't for Eminem and Outkast, I probably would've given up on the genre years ago--but there's still plenty of good stuff out there if you know where to look.

B.o.B was big on the underground for a couple of years before blowing up on the mainstream scene with "Airplanes" (the Eminem remix is my favorite), a song that was originally intended for Lupe Fiasco. I like his style and especially his versatility (compare "Nothin' on You" and "I Feed These Streets"), and I think the number of big time artists who are willing to collaborate with him says a lot about him.

On that note, here's B.o.B, collaborating with Lil Wayne, on the title track to B.o.B's upcoming album, "Strange Clouds". Happy weekend, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment