- We had 1% interest rates from Greenspan fueling housing.
- We had wars from Bush and Obama fueling defense industry employment.
- We had two rounds of Quantitative easing from the Fed.
- We had cash-for-clunkers.
- We had two housing tax credit packages.
- We had an $800 billion stimulus package from Congress for "shovel-ready" projects.
- We had stimulus kickbacks to states.
- We had HAMP (Home Affordable Mortgage Program).
- We had bank bailouts out the wazoo to stimulate lending.
- We had Small Business lending programs.
- We had central bank liquidity swaps.
- We had Maiden Lane, Maiden Lane II, and Maiden Lane III
- We had Single Tranche Repurchase agreements
- We had the Citi Asset Guarantee
- We had TALF, TARP, TAF, CPFF, TSLF, MMIFF, TLGP, AMLF, PPIP, and PDCF
- We had so many programs the Fed must have run out of letters because they were not given an acronym.
Anyone who continues to look to the government as the answer to their economic problems is looking to the wrong place. Even if we could afford to do more, it's far from clear whether or not it would do any real good.