Tuesday, November 9, 2010

This is getting ridiculous

After my two previous posts about marathon badassery, a reader decided to keep the party going by alerting me to the story of Tim Sweeney, who pretty much takes the cake.
It took Tim Sweeney almost seven hours to finish the New York City Marathon but he walked on air every step of the way.
The 33-year-old medical miracle competed in the epic race Sunday with a new set of lungs after receiving a double transplant a year ago.
"It was so much more than I expected. It was overwhelming," Sweeney said after clocking in at just under six hours and 55 minutes. "I didn't care about time. I really wanted to finish. It meant a lot to me."
Sweeney, a personal trainer from Connecticut, suffered from cystic fibrosis, but always stayed active.
Wow. This is almost getting ridiculous. I was pretty proud of myself for running a marathon, but now it seems like everyone in the world is running them while doing handstands and towing 18-wheelers the whole way, then turning around and running the whole thing again while blindfolded. I'm impressed by all of them. Crazy stuff.


[NY Daily News]

No comments:

Post a Comment