Thursday, November 11, 2010

Happy Veterans' Day

It may not be a market holiday today (I'm working...), but it is still Veterans' Day. To honor it, I thought I'd share the story of my personal favorite veteran (though these guys are no slouches).

Captain Samuel Whittemore went down in history as the oldest known combatant in the American Revolutionary War, when he voluntarily picked up his musket and jumped into the fray at the age of 80. He unleashed a famous ambush on the British troops, and continued fighting despite what should have been mortal wounds. He miraculously survived and lived nearly 20 years longer, and he is now recognized as the official state hero of my home state of Massachusetts.

The whole story of Captain Whittemore is fantastic and worth a read. You can find it here.

Thanks to all our veterans.

No comments:

Post a Comment