Friday, March 2, 2012

Song of the Week(end)

Okay, let's finish off this three-post Friday (let's call it a hat trick) with a little weekend music. I was planning to honor the recently-deceased Davy Jones--former lead singer of the Monkees--in this post, but I've heard "Daydream Believer" so much this week that it's nearly driven me insane (much like "I Will Always Love You" a couple of weeks ago... I had no idea the Monkees were ever this popular... I don't think they were).

So instead, I'm going to go in a completely different direction and throw a little sports theme onto this weekend's tune (no, this isn't the first time I've done that). You see, 50 years ago today, Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points in an NBA game. Along with Joe DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak, it's in the Pantheon of sports' most unbreakable records, a record made even more impressive by the absence of the 3-point shot in Chamberlain's era.

In the last 20 years, only Kobe Bryant and David Robinson have come anywhere close to Wilt's mark, even with the 3-pointer at their disposal. So today, we honor The Stilt by playing the chart-topping song from 50 years ago, Gene Chandler's "Duke of Earl". Yes, I'm thrilled that the chart-topper was actually a song that I'd heard of and liked, never a guarantee when you're talking about the '60s--it made this post much easier on me. Happy weekend, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment