Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Quote of the Week

Once again, I forgot to post the Quote of the Week yesterday. On the heels of the three-day weekend, and amidst all the chaos in Libya and the markets, I pretty much lost track of what day it was. But that's okay, because the most intriguing quote I've seen this week just came across my desk this morning, so the delay was worth it.

There has been a lot of media coverage of the suicide of former star NFL defensive back Dave Duerson (a member of the '85 Bears, who famously trounced my Patriots in the Super Bowl), who reportedly shot himself in the chest so that his angst-ridden brain could be studied. His actions cast a new light on the issue of football player safety, which is becoming even more poignant now as the league and its players' union continue negotiations on a new collective bargaining agreement.

This morning, the sports blog Deadspin posted an extended interview with Duerson conducted three months before his death. It's alternately interesting, saddening, and spooky to read his unfiltered words, now that we know just how much pain he was in. But the interview also gives rare insight into the human side of the athletes we worship and heap expectations on, rarely wondering or realizing what they may be going through off (or on) the field.

As a fan, it's hard for me to view the Duerson situation without accepting at least some blame for his tragic end, knowing that my expectations as a spectator can often be insatiable and unreasonable. At any rate, I highly suggest you read the whole interview. But if you don't want to, I'll give you a take-home quote anyway.

This week's QUOTE OF THE WEEK

"People would ask me about longevity and all that. I would tell them I was going to die at 42."
                      -Former NFL Pro Bowler Dave Duerson, three months before his suicide at age 50

[Deadspin]

No comments:

Post a Comment