Thursday, September 9, 2010

White girls like the Red Sox, black people like soul food

Tiptoeing ever so carefully into the world of racial profiling, I thought I'd pass along this post from Gizmodo. Crunching data from hundreds of thousands of OkCupid (an online dating site) profiles, the folks at Gizmodo ran a frequency analysis to see which words and terms showed up most often among individuals from different races, genders, and religions. I've posted their graphic summarizing "what white girls like" below.

The Gizmodo author summarized that:
If I had to choose over-arching themes for white people's lists, for men, I'd go with "frat house" and for women, "escapism." Whether one begot the other is a question I'll leave to the reader.
Given my history with religion (raised Catholic, now mostly agnostic), I also found their chart measuring writing proficiency against religious identification to be interesting and amusing.

Obviously there's some serious self-selection bias going on here, since these charts are really just measuring "what white girls who opted to sign up for OkCupid, a site that has disproportionate numbers of members from large cities, like". But it's amusing nonetheless, as are the rest of the "profiles" on the site.

Maybe female Red Sox fans just have a really, really hard time finding a date without help from the internet. What do I know? I married a Yankee fan.

[Gizmodo]

No comments:

Post a Comment