Thursday, July 28, 2011

Clip of the Week

I'm going to be on the road for most of the next few days--first at a golf tournament, then at a(nother) funeral, so my posting may be a little sparse. I'll try my best to get at least one post a day, but no guarantees...

But before I hit the highway, I'll at least put up your Clip of the Week, so that you can have some amusement this afternoon. There were some decent candidates this week, most of them a little different from your typical Clip of the Week contender.

First, we had this ridiculously overwrought hype video, introducing the new Pac-12 Conference (same old Pac-10, with the addition of a Big-12 also-ran in Colorado and a Utah team that's making its first-ever appearance in a major conference... incidentally, I also highly recommend that you read the "Featured Comment" on that Deadspin link--good stuff), we had this blooper-reel play from a soccer game, and we had this very cool time-lapse video with a year's worth of screenshots of the New York Times front page (12,000 screenshots in total--mesmerizing).

But there's really only one contender for Clip of the Week this week, because it's one video that I just can't stop watching. On Tuesday night, the Pittsburgh Pirates (who are unexpectedly in the playoff hunt, which I think contractually requires us to refer to them as the "resurgent Pittsburgh Pirates") played a marathon 19-inning game against the Atlanta Braves.

It was a well-played, entertaining game between two playoff contenders, and on this play, it appeared that a 20th inning was imminent. That was until home plate umpire Jerry Meals decided he'd seen enough, and made the single worst call I've ever seen in a baseball game, ending the game and awarding the win to the Braves. I still can't figure out exactly how he blew this one. Pretty brutal.

No comments:

Post a Comment