Monday, June 6, 2011

How do Americans measure up?

This is always fun stuff. I don't know exactly how the Economist or the OECD went about collecting and compiling this data, so I can't say how reliable these stats are (and I'm always suspicious of summary statistics anyway--I think that the variation within a population is almost as important if not more so than the summary or "average", but I digress...), but it's interesting to look at anyway, especially as it feeds some of the stereotypes we might already be operating under.


It probably doesn't surprise any of us in the States to see that the French spend the most time eating and sleeping, or that we and our British friends spend the most time on "leisure". But it's definitely surprising to see that the French work more paid hours than the Germans (perhaps because the Germans are so famously efficient), and that the Americans spend less time on "personal care" than the Germans (that one I really can't figure out).

And what the hell are the Japanese doing with all of their extra work hours? Because it's certainly not showing up in their GDP data...

One final question: the Germans lead the group in "Other"... do I want to know why?

[Economist]  
(h/t Barry Ritholtz)

No comments:

Post a Comment