Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Quote of the Week

Masters weekend is always one of my favorites of the year. Beyond my enjoyment of the tournament itself, it also means that spring is here, baseball season is underway, and good times (and warm weather) are coming.

This weekend's Masters--and Sunday in particular--was one of the more entertaining in recent memory. From Tiger's front nine 31 early in the day to Rory McIlroy's epic collapse on the back nine to the literally dozen players who had a chance to seize the tournament down the stretch, this one kept me watching the whole time.

But, of course, the story at the end of the day was poor Rory McIlroy, who like so many before him wilted on golf's biggest stage. Gracious even in epic defeat, he is the subject--though not the speaker--of this week's Quote of the Week.

This week's QUOTE OF THE WEEK

"I knew exactly how he felt - I've experienced it."
                                - Greg Norman, epic golf collapser 

Yes, Greg... you certainly have. Of course, putting aside the Greg Norman comparisons, it really was hard to watch McIlroy lose his confidence completely late Sunday. Perhaps Tiger's early charge got in his head, or maybe he's just simply not mentally ready to win a major yet. But I give the kid credit--there's no way I would've posed for a picture like this--let alone post it on Twitter--if I'd been through what he'd been through. 




No, I would've been more likely to go the Shooter McGavin route, stealing Charl's jacket and running for the hills, only to be chased down by a guy who looked like this. I believe that jacket belongs to Mr. Schwartzel!!

Yeah, good times. Sorry, Rory, you'll have your day.  

[Sky Sports]

No comments:

Post a Comment