Thursday, March 31, 2011

Clip of the Week

Early in the week, I thought the Clip of the Week was a cinch--overlooking this video of some pretty impressive soccer ball juggling, I was all set to give Clip of the Week to this video of a youth soccer team on an island village in Thailand building its own (floating) soccer field and developing into a champion team against all odds. (For what it's worth, I still recommend that you watch the soccer videos, especially the floating field.)

But then on Tuesday night, at the UVA-George Washington baseball game, I witnessed one of the rarest accomplishments in the sporting world--a perfect game. Will Roberts, a junior pitcher from Richmond who had enjoyed only modest success in his first two seasons, pitched the game of his life, allowing just one ball to be hit out of the infield en route to only the 8th NCAA Division I perfect game since 1957.

The atmosphere in the park was incredible, and the end of the game was indescribably emotional--if you didn't get a little teary-eyed watching the team lift Roberts on their shoulders, then you just don't like sports. In all my years of watching and playing baseball, I'd never witnessed a perfect game, and I may never again. I'm glad I was there for this one. Congratulations, Will.

No comments:

Post a Comment